McCallum Bros Limited® and the wider McCallum Group are conscious and committed to their Corporate Social Responsibility (“CSR”) within the community and further afield. For our quarry and sand extraction permits, we undertake regular and stringent monitoring to ensure we are meeting or exceeding our consent conditions. For our marine consents, we undertake bathymetric work to determine any impacts to the seafloor or marine biota plus surveys of the beach to investigate and monitor changes to the beach volumes. Monitoring has been undertaken since 1994 with no impacts to the Mangawhai Pakiri embayment being linked to sand extraction.
Our CSR priority is to ensure the aggregates we supply are obtained with the least amount of adverse effects to our environment as possible to ensure that we are able to assist with the development of the construction industry in a manner that meets the needs of the present without comprising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Sand is a vital resource for our economy and it is paramount society has access to the resource to enhance our construction and infrastructure. Our job is to ensure its constant availability in the most sustainable manner possible.
To show our commitment, McCallum Bros Limited® has sponsored in full, a member of our team to undertake a Masters of Law (LL.M) specialising in Environmental and Natural Resources Law and Policy (“ENRLP”) at a reputable law school in the United States to obtain a further and global understanding of sustainable environmental practices to ensure we can be at the forefront of sustainable environmental and natural resource development in New Zealand.
We adhere to the Global Reporting Initiative and vigorously follow the guidelines of the International Council on Mining & Metals “10 Principles”. These include:
- Apply ethical business practices and sound systems of corporate governance and transparency to support sustainable development;
- Integrate sustainable development in corporate strategy and decision-making processes;
- Respect human rights and the interests, cultures, customs, and values of employees and communities affected by our activities;
- Implement effective risk-management strategies and systems based on sound science and which account for stakeholder perceptions of risks;
- Pursue continual improvement in health and safety performance with the ultimate goal of zero harm;
- Pursue continual improvement in environmental performance issues, such as water stewardship, energy use, and climate change;
- Contribute to the conservation of biodiversity and integrated approaches to land-use planning;
- Facilitate and support the knowledge-base and systems for responsible design, use, re-use, recycling and disposal of products containing metals and minerals;
- Pursue continual improvement in social performance and contribute to the social, economic and institutional development of communities; and
- Proactively engage key stakeholders on sustainable development challenges and opportunities in an open and transparent manner. Effectively report and independently verify progress and performance.
McCallum Bros Limited® utilises both stationary and trailing suction methods to extract sand in its consented areas. Sand and water is picked up off the seafloor and pass over screens which screen off the sand into the hopper below while the oversized material passes straight back into the ocean. Sand settles in the hopper as the speed of the water/sand mix slows and the water passes over weir boards back to the Coastal Marine Area.
The William Fraser
With the arrival of our new dredging vessel, “William Fraser” in September 2019, we have taken a huge step in improving the efficiency and minimising the impact of our activity. We have gone to the effort to utilise the latest Dutch dredging technology as they are the global leaders in dredging gear that minimises the impact of this activity. The vessel has also been equipped with improved screening gear plus moon pools which act the same as green valves to reduce turbidity generated by the sediment entrained through the process of extraction. She is also powered with the most efficient and low emission engines on the market that meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final emission standards.
Health and Safety Policy
McCallum Bros Limited® is committed to providing and maintaining a safe and healthy workplace for all staff, and to providing the information, training, and supervision needed to achieve this.
McCallum Bros Limited®, in the process of performing its daily activities, will take all practical steps to ensure that these tasks are carried out safely and without causing harm to fellow workers, contractors, customers, and the general public.
McCallum Bros Limited® in the course of carrying out its activities will always strive to eliminate all situations which could lead to injury or occupational illness. In the event that any hazardous situation cannot be eliminated, McCallum Bros Limited® will seek to isolate and/or minimise it.
McCallum Bros Limited® in the course of carrying out its activities will establish safe working conditions, and make available information and control measures for hazards in the workplace.
McCallum Bros Limited® in the course of carrying out its activities will seek to emphasise to all employees and sub-contractors the need to take the initiative in anticipating, preventing and correcting conditions and practices that could lead to physical harm to themselves or any other person or persons.
McCallum Bros Limited® ask that all staff and any individual or organisation, work with them closely to help realise their commitment to zero accidents and excellence in performing to the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
McCallum Bros Limited® will take responsibility for health and safety procedures, however, employees need to be aware of their responsibilities and comply with the business’ health and safety policy.
Each employee is encouraged to play a vital and responsible role in maintaining a safe and healthy workplace through:
- Being involved in the workplace health and safety system.
- Sticking to correct procedures and equipment.
- Wearing protective clothing and equipment as and when required.
- Reporting any pain or discomfort as soon as possible.
- Ensuring all accidents, incidents and near misses are reported.
- Helping new employees, trainees and visitors to the workplace understand the correct safety procedures and why they exist.
- Telling your manager immediately of any health and safety concerns.
- Keeping the workplace tidy to minimise the risk of any trips and falls.
The sites operated by McCallum Bros Limited® shall be managed, staffed and equipped to the highest practical standards. The objective of our site-specific health and safety manuals is to ensure safety, prevention of injury or loss of life and a long term commitment to the efficient supply of aggregates to the Auckland building industry.
Your participation is much appreciated.
The McCallum Group support our local communities including;
- Supporting the Ardmore Marist Rugby Club and the Counties Manakau Steelers;
- Clevedon Coast Oysters® Tennis Tournament;
- Clevedon Tennis Club;
- Orere Point and Clevedon Schools;
- Kawakawa Bay First Aid Response Unit and Health Clinic;
- Kawakawa Bay Fire Brigade;
- Totora Hospice;
- Johnny Walker Field of Dreams Golf Day; and
- Restaurant Association.